TRTC holds an estimated half a million fungal collections and about 1,000 type specimens, making it one of the most significant fungal depository in North America. Its holding is richest in Eastern Canadian material but has a worldwide representation.
The Royal Ontario Museum Fungarium (TRTC) was originally founded at the University of Toronto around 1887 under the name of “The Cryptogamic Herbarium”. The real development of the herbarium began in 1928 with the appointment of Dr. H.S. Jackson as head of the Department of Botany at the University of Toronto. Under Dr. Jackson’s leadership, later followed by Dr. R.F. Cain, and in association with their students, the Fungarium underwent a period of major expansion. Active development was continued by Dr. J.C. Krug and as a result, the herbarium has grown from about 500 collections in 1928 to its present holding estimated to be about half a million specimens. The collections and their responsibility were transferred to the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) in June 1996.
The collection was established in 1887 and ceased acquisitions in present.
Kingdoms covered include: Fungi.
Number of specimens in the collection
The estimated number of specimens in the Royal Ontario Museum Fungarium collection is 50,000.
Of these 11,129 are databased. This represents 22.3 % of the collection.
Click the Records & Statistics tab to access those database records that are available through the atlas.
Metadata last updated on 2017-09-29 23:39:10.0
Digitised records available through the Atlas
The Royal Ontario Museum Fungarium collection has an estimated 50,000 specimens.
The collection has databased 22.3 % of these (11,129 records).
Looking up... the number of records that can be accessed through the Canadensys Collections Click to view all records for the Royal Ontario Museum Fungarium collection